Re: Package xserver-xorg-core and Nvidia

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 06:25:05AM -0500, Robert Isaac wrote:

> The nv driver only works on some cards and intel cards are overpriced
> POS that simply do not support some of more useful GL extensions.
> AMD/ATi has recently released specs for their newer chips, and
> promises to do so soon for their older chips, that is a better option
> than an over priced intel card.

Erm, you wanted to say "that will be a better option in 1-2 years from
now". Drivers won't just magically appear out of thin air because the
specs are available. Even more, AFAIK not all specs are available and
even the released ones have some holes. I'm sure these will be solved
over time but IMHO right _now_ the only fully supported Radeon family is
still the R200 generation. R300 and partly R400 is becoming pretty good
but it is not yet complete. Work on R500 has been started but is far
from being ready, and support for R600 is not on the horizont yet.

Of course you can use the fglrx driver but then you're back where you've
been with Nvidia.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences