Re: Intel Core2Duo (T7400)

On Don, 2007-11-08 at 09:31 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 10:31:56AM +0100, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
[...]
> > That reminds me of a TYAN mainboard (Toledo i3100/S5207, Intel E6600 CPU
> > on it IIRC[0], Ubuntu + self-compiled kernel on it IIRC[0]) bought in
> > March 2007 which ran fine with 4GB but didn't even boot[1] with 8GB RAM
> > (and RAM is on their "recommend RAM" list for that board) and stopped
> > with an BIOS error not mentioned in the manual.
> > The third BIOS update - to a "beta" version - (since March) seems[1] to
> > make it work now.
>
> You would think board makers SHOULD test the bios with every OS out
> there not just the most popular one.  Even testing with 64bit vista and

Well, since the mainboard does not even try to load the boot loader, I
consider that above a pretty OS-independent problem/bug.
I would think they also put the max load of RAMs (at least for the
recommended ones) into their mainbords and boot it with anything.

> the ram maxed out on the board would catch many bugs (like the MTRR bugs
> in intel bioses on the majority of their current boards).

Yup.

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services