Re: java plugin lenny

This is what I've done with etch, I don't know if it'll work for lenny. Note that there are sarge and sid variants to try (but no lenny) in the sources.list.

After various frustrations with the latest Sun Java not having a plugin on AMD64, I just decided to go back to the blackdown java's older version that worked for me last year:

I put this in my /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/blackdown/debian/ etch non-free
deb-src http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/blackdown/debian/ etch non-free

and then did

sudo apt-get  -f install j2re1.4 j2sdk1.4 j2sdk1.4-doc

and I've been much happier. Of course, if I was developing applets and wanted do do it with a current sun-java that's happily open-source and everything, this wouldn't be so good. But for viewing web java content, it's fine. And I still have the sun-java5-jre stuff installed, too.

I'm not saying this is the best or only solution, just another thing to consider.

- M