Re: Mobo Intel DG965WH with Lenny or etch?

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 05:01:06PM +0000, Jack Malmostoso wrote:
> > Have anyone succesfully used this hardware? Any hints on booting the
> > installation or maybe testing the hardware to see if something is
> > broken?  Maybe software to test if everything is right?
>
> You should probably go with one of the latest daily builds of the
> installer with kernel 2.6.22. Alternatively, check that in the BIOS the
> SATA channels are set in "compatibility mode" as opposed to "AHCI" mode.
> In "compatibility mode" you should be able to install Etch without
> problems. On first boot, add the backports repository and then install a
> newer kernel (2.6.22 will do). Go back to the BIOS and put the hard
> drives back in "AHCI" and you should not have any problems.

> Still applies if you have an infamous jmicron controller.

The compat mode won't work to solve this issue.  The DVD is connected to
a Marvell controller unsupported by 2.6.18.  To top things off, 2.6.18
won't talk to the on-board ethernet.

Follow the first suggestion - use a newer installer.  I ended up doing a
network boot installation, which let me replace the kernel more
trivially than building my own installer image (nothing newer than
2.6.18 was available at the time).

I had to use the i810-modesetting driver to get video to work, but I
think that may have just been obsoleted in unstable.
--
Rob