Re: Opinion question (Core2 Duo)

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 06:29:31PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Is there a free alternative to GCC?

Not that I know of.

> Where would you go for floating point?  Last time I looked, Cray used
> Opterons as nodes in its supercomputers.

True, but in terms of memory bandwidth the opteron is very good, and
hypertransport allows them to pop fpga's and other custom logic chips
into cpu sockets and have amazing acess to the main cpus and memory at
quite low cost.  After all if you can turn your key calculation into a
hardware operation in an fpga, a general purpose cpu generally has no
hope of competing.