Re: boot sequence and network (madwifi)

Am Freitag 21 September 2007 schrieb Martin Marcher:
> 2007/9/21, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de>:
> > When I manually configure the cards, using "/etc/init.d/network restart",
> > the card is seeing the accesspoint (98 percent at the first time, at 2
> > percent I have to do it twice) and the dhcpclient is giving the IP as
> > required.
> >
> > Conditions:
> > I have two network cards, one wired (eth0) with a fixed IP (but not
> > connected), and the wlan card (ath0) obtaining an IP with dhcp.
> > Hint: both network card are configured, to access to the same gateway.
> >
> > Checked: All modules are loaded properly at boot, before obtaining an IP
> >
> > Checked: Without done an "/etc/netwiork/interfaces restart", a manually
> > command "dhcpclient 192.168.1.1 ath0" does not work. Error message is:
> > Device not known.
> >
> > Checked: ifconfig is telling me all devices, wifi0 and ath0 are
> > available.
> >
> > So, what is the difference between the behaviour at first boot, and the
> > behaviour doing an "/etc/init.d/networking restart" ?
>
> how does /etc/network/interfaces and your wpa config (if you use it) look?
>
> martin
>
> --
> http://noneisyours.marcher.name
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours
Hi Martin,

this is my /etc/network/interfaces

------------

auto lo eth0 ath0 usb0

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.20
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	broadcast 192.168.0.255
	gateway 192.168.1.1

#### Accesspoint #########

# iface eth1 inet static
#	wireless_mode Master
#	wireless_essid any
#	wireless_keymode open
#	wireless_channel 3
#	address 192.168.5.1
#	netmask 255.255.255.0
#	broadcast 192.168.5.255
#	gateway 192.168.5.1

#### at home ######

iface ath0 inet dhcp
	wireless_mode managed
	wireless_essid myessid
	wireless_key TOPSECRET
	wireless_ap auto
	wireless_keymode open

#### on the road ######

# iface ath0 inet dhcp
#	wireless_mode managed
#	wireless_essid any
#	wireless_key off
#	wireless_ap auto
#	wireless_keymode open

# Work network configuration

# iface eth0 inet static
#	address 195.37.206.71
#	netmask 255.255.255.224
#	broadcast 195.37.206.255
#	gateway 195.37.206.65

mapping hotplug
script grep
map usb0

iface usb0 inet static
address 192.168.129.200
pointopoint 192.168.129.201
netmask 255.255.255.0
# network 192.168.129.0
# broadcast 192.168.129.255

You guess it, I do not populate my secret key.

Anyway, I am still using WEP, as my AP is too old, to support WPA. This is no
problem for me, as in case of the defective HF-PA it is only sending with
10mW, which is enough for sending within my living rooms, but too low to send
into the far(!) world.

Regards

Hans