Opinion question (Core2 Duo)

I have an Intel Core2 Duo arriving in the mail in a couple of days, and I read online that these processors can run in either 32bit or 64bit mode (just like Athlons can).

Thing is, the 32bit chroot and ia32-compatibility libraries, are, imo, a total mess and a real pain in the rear to deal with on a daily basis.

I'm looking for people's opinions on whether I should stick with debian-amd64, or do a reinstall of debian from the main branch (32bit)?

What, truly, are the real performance differences? Simply support for 4+G of ram, or something else?

My /home is a seperate partition, as are my mp3s, etc etc, so data retention is not a huge concern.

Thanks,
Zaq