boot sequence and network (madwifi)

Hello all,

I try to understand some things, maybe you can help me.

The Problem:

I discovered, that never(!) at first boot the wlan card is getting an IP by
the accesspoint. And at first boot, the access point is never seen by the
system, and thus dhcpclient cannot give an IP to the card.

When I manually configure the cards, using "/etc/init.d/network restart",
the card is seeing the accesspoint (98 percent at the first time, at 2 percent
I have to do it twice) and the dhcpclient is giving the IP as required.

Conditions:
I have two network cards, one wired (eth0) with a fixed IP (but not
connected), and the wlan card (ath0) obtaining an IP with dhcp.
Hint: both network card are configured, to access to the same gateway.

Checked: All modules are loaded properly at boot, before obtaining an IP

Checked: Without done an "/etc/netwiork/interfaces restart", a manually
command "dhcpclient 192.168.1.1 ath0" does not work. Error message is: Device
not known.

Checked: ifconfig is telling me all devices, wifi0 and ath0 are available.

So, what is the difference between the behaviour at first boot, and the
behaviour doing an "/etc/init.d/networking restart" ?

It would be nice, if you can help me to understand.

Regards

Hans