Re: Opinion question (Core2 Duo)

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 09:45:42AM -0400, Zaq Rizer wrote:
  </pre>
Thank you both for the advice.&nbsp; I am compiling a new preempt/cfs kernel
with Intel/core2-specific instructions, and will stick with my -amd64
installation.&nbsp; Don't fix it if it ain't broke, right?<br>
Regards,<br>
Zaq<br>

Why would you bother compiling your own kernel?  The AMD64 instruction
set is pretty much the same on all the CPUs and debian's kernel works
and you get security fixes without having to do all the work and
research yourself.  You are very unlikely to gain any performance by
compiling your own kernel.

First, apologies for sending in HTML only ...
My current kernel is custom so I can try out the new scheduler (CFS), and increase the tickrate, and enable preemption. None of which, afaik, can I do with any Debian packaged kernels.

So since I was doing all that, I figured I'd go ahead and re-config it for Intel c2d. It's purely a desktop machine ...

~Zaq