Re: Kernel and Xen on an Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5320 processor

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 10:23:41AM +0800, GNUbie wrote:
> I have an Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5320 processor running a Debian GNU/Linux
> Etch and I am confused on two things mainly:
>
> [1]  Do I need to re-compile a new kernel to support SMP?  Currently, it's
> running the stock linux-image-2.6.18-5-amd64 kernel.

You already show cpuinfo showing 4 cpu cores.  Debian kernels support
SMP by default on x86/amd64.

> [2]  I'm planning to install Xen on this machine so that I can create Xen
> images where the real network services will run on these images.  Do I need
> to compile the newest version of Xen and related packages onto this machine
> from its project page or re-compile the Debian GNU/Linux Etch's Xen sources
> onto this machine or just use whatever is available from the Debian
> GNU/Linux Etch repository?
>
> Basically, I want that my Xen images will see that they're also running on a
> machine that comes with these four (4) processors and 4GB RAM.

No idea if xen does XMP (Never worked with xen myself).  I know vmware
only very recently started doing SMP for virtual machines.  It is
certainly a very hard task to implement so I would not be surprised if
xen does not do it, but then again maybe they really are that clever
already.