Re: HP DV9540 laptop AMD64 with nVidia G8400M graphic card will not start in X mode

Hi Niels, (top posting on purpose)

Keep the replies to the list.  See my embedded comments.  I'll cc the
debian-amd64 list.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:59:19PM +0200, Niels Larsen wrote:
> On Thursday 23 August 2007 20:38:05 you wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 07:54:38PM +0200, Niels Larsen wrote:
> > > I just bought a new laptop.
> > >
> > > Then I installed etch amd64, and it went well, but when I tried to
> > > start "startx", I get:
> > > Fatal Server Error - no screens found
> > >
> > > I have been on http://wiki.x.org and looked in their FAQ.
> > >
> > > I have then tried to change driver: "nvidia", "vesa" and "vga" in
> > > the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but none seems to work.
> >
> > Before you worry about the nvidia closed-source driver, try getting it
> > to work with the nv driver, assuming that you have nv.

> Yes, I have nv
>

> > Then again, it should work to some extent with vesa.
> >
> > > I have tried to run "X -configure" and to run with
> > > /root/xorg.conf.new, and then I get black screen (same i got from
> > > k/ubuntu).
> >
> > X is configured on Debian with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.
> >
> > Assuming you have the xorg meta-package insalled,
> Yes, I have xorg meta-package
> > which depends on all the video drivers, you should be able to tell
> > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to choose the correct driver for you.
> How do I do that?  :-) (I have run "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh
> xserver-xorg" several times - found this command on some mailing list)

The problem is the -phigh.  That means that only high priority questions
will be asked.  Selecting the driver is a low-priority activity.  The
dpkg-reconfigure man page says that if you don't specifiy a -p it will
by default give you -plow.

> > > By the way, I read that I could run both 32 -and 64 bits programs on
> > > amd64, but not mix.
> >
> > Worry about getting a fully running etch amd64 before you worry about
> > running a mix of stuff.  Its not too hard but its a bit further along
> > the learning curve.
> My plan was to only have 32 bits stuff!

If you only want 32-bit then reinstall with the i386 port.  You said you
installed Etch amd64 which is a 64-bit system.  You cannot run 64-bit
apps on i386.