From: michael@estone.ca <michael@estone.ca>
To: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org <debian-amd64@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thu Aug 23 16:07:46 2007
Subject: Re: Opinions on ext3 vs XFS vs reiserfs for LAMP server

Quoting Jim Crilly <jim@why.dont.jablowme.net>:

> On 08/23/07 10:03:24AM -0700, michael@estone.ca wrote:
>>
>> The problem of zeroing files of XFS still exists, however its not some
>> mythical type of corruption. You'll only see it on files recently
>> written to within seconds (say approx 60 secs) of a hard power off. If
>> you can't risk it, or think you may have encounter the odd hard reset,
>> ext3 might be a better choice.
>>

> Actually it's been fixed as of 2.6.22:
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/faq.html#nulls
>
> Of course that doesn't help you if you're using sticking with the kernel
> shipped with etch.

I'm not so sure its fixed.
I just tested with a sid samba box, running 2.6.22 kernel, and XFS filesystem.
Connected to it via a WinXP box and copied a word doc file to it.
Soft rebooted the samba box to make sure the file was sync'd to hard drive.

Re-connected to samba share and opened the word document, added some
text lines to it, saved and quit Word, then yanked the power out.
Rebooted and re-connected to the samba share again only to find the
file full of squares.
Ext3 would have at least retained the original contents of the file.

I tested the exact same thing again but waited 60 seconds after saving
the file, and then yanked the power out. Upon a boot up, the file was
intact and the save worked. So you still have about a 60 second window
of newly written files and a power loss for data corruption, unless
the program can sync it to disk before that.

Cheers,
Mike