Re: Opinions on ext3 vs XFS vs reiserfs for LAMP server

On August 23, 2007 09:15 am Neil Gunton wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > So my opinion is to use ext3 for it all.  Then one repair tool is all
> > you will ever need (and in my experience you are unlikely to really
> > ever need that one tool either).  The repair tools for reiserfs have
> > historically been awful (in many cases making the problem worse
> > rather than better), and the XFS tools have had a tendancy to require
> > an insane amount of ram on larger filesystems which can make repairs
> > very difficult unless you have a lot of ram if using a large drive.
>
> Great advice, thanks a lot! This is just what I'm after.
>
> I'd be interested to hear whether other people have wildly different
> experiences... if not, then I'll probably just go with ext3 for all of
> it.

We use XFS for everything except /boot as GRUB doesn't play nice with XFS.
Haven't had any performance issues.  And the resizing features play
nicely with LVM.

Our servers include a pair of Xen boxes using XFS-on-LVM for each VM,
several web servers running Apache vhost and Linux VServers, several
dozen xterminal boxes supporting hundreds of diskless clients, and a
handful of Samba file/print servers.

No performance issues or data corruption to worry about.

Running Debian Sarge and Etch, using 2.6 kernels.

> Also, is there any downside (performance-wise) to putting everything on
> one big partition? It seems to me that every time I try to design a
> "smart" partitioning scheme, it ends up being a pain in the ass. You
> end up with empty space in one partition and out of space in another. I
> could see the point of partitioning on older, single hard drives
> (taking into account where the partition is on the drive surface), but
> on a striped RAID setup that is surely kind of moot. The other benefit
> would be re-installing - if you have all your data on a separate
> partition then you don't have to move it off and then restore it. So
> does ext3 do ok on just one big 140 GB partition???

We have XFS filesystems that are over 1 TB without issues.  I don't see
how 140 GB will be an issue.  :)

--
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP      Network Support Technician
School District 73                  (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]