Re: Opinions on ext3 vs XFS vs reiserfs for LAMP server

Quoting Neil Gunton <neil@nilspace.com>:

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has any real-world advice on the best
filesystem to use for an AMD64 LAMP server. I know that the different
systems have their pros and cons, but a lot of the comparisons out
there seem to be rather old. So I'll describe below exactly what it is
I'm doing.

I have no experience with JFS or Reiserfs, but have used ext3 and XFS
on Etch 2.6.18 kernel, both i386 and AMD64.
Both are rock solid, and haven't experienced any filesystem corruption or errors on the 2.6.18 kernel. (knock on wood!)

I really like the performance of ext3 for smaller files(1K --> 64K), and XFS for bigger files. (100K and up). This might be a consideration for your LAMP box depending on which files or pics might get accessed more.

The problem of zeroing files of XFS still exists, however its not some mythical type of corruption. You'll only see it on files recently written to within seconds (say approx 60 secs) of a hard power off. If you can't risk it, or think you may have encounter the odd hard reset, ext3 might be a better choice.

I like both filesystems, but recently have been using more XFS, only for the single reason that I've had larger filesystems with larger and larger files.
But again, either one will serve you well.

Cheers,
Mike