Re: Opinions on ext3 vs XFS vs reiserfs for LAMP server

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 12:48:29AM +0200, Michael wrote:

> I just tweaked all ext3 partitions to something like
>
> /dev/sda10       /     ext3    noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0  1
>
> to see what will happen. (The option data=writeback caused boot trouble)
> So far, anything unchanged but the firefox history where is no 'Today' anymore.
> MySQL, Apache, and NFS servers seem to be ok.
> And actually anything is loading or writing faster. For example application launching and disk caching.
>
> Besides /home and /var, I have seperate /var/cache with different inode sizes and  dir_index, for lots of small files (webproxy). I guess something like that could be handy for other filesystem based databases too.
>
> I wasn't able to undelete a whole directory tree from ext3 with autopsy - i didn't try other tools but i did some research and it looked like it's not so easy, maybe impossible.
> Lots of tools mention they work on ext3 too but they can't do the same on ext3 as on ext2.

undelete only works on ext2 since it doesn't have sorted directories.
ext3 resorts the directory when you add or delete files, and hence
looses the entry for the deleted file that ext2 just left there but
marked deleted.

I don't think I have ever needed undelete.  That is what backups are
for, along with being careful. :)  Allowing undelete tends to lead to
inefficient filesystem designs.

If you want undelete, install some tools to replace rm and the like with
programs that move files to the trash instead.  Doesn't protect against
overwriting, but then again undelete never did either.