Re: resizing partition with Windows Vista

On 07/11/07 05:27:20PM -0500, Seb wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:04:10 -0400,
> lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Some people use gparted from a livecd.  Do NOT resize or move the
> > windows boot partition however, unless you have a real vista CD around
> > to boot to recovery mode and repair the boot files for vista.  It will
> > not boot if you change the boot partition in anyway (other than using
> > the vista resize tool).
>
> That is the problem, the boot partition is the largest (137 out of the 160
> Gb total), and can only be reduced to about 80 Gb!!  The Vista system is
> "optimized" to make efficient use of the hard drive by creating 4
> partitions with several unmovable parts, so that no matter how large your
> hard drive is, you can only reduce the partition used by Vista to about 3
> x the space required.  You never know how far M$ will go to make it easy
> for users to use their hardware...

Those partitions were undoubtedly created by Toshiba and not Vista and as
for the fact that Vista won't let you shrink the partition, by default it's
pagefile is dynamically grown as necessary and with all of the other stuff
that Vista does when running it makes sense for them to enforce a minimum
amount of free space on the system partition. Depending on what Toshiba put
on the other 2 partitions (assuming one is Vista and one is recovery) you
should be able to delete them and have Vista run just fine.

But if it were my laptop I would use whatever tool Toshiba provides to make
a recovery disk, delete all the partitions and start over with just Debian
and then run Windows inside VMWare or whatever virtualization you prefer.
Although you probably won't be able to use the restore disk in the
virtualized system so you might have to jump through some hoops to get a
working Vista system that way.

> --
> Seb

Jim.