Re: resizing partition with Windows Vista

* Seb <spluque@gmail.com> [2007-07-11 17:27:20 -0500]:

> > Some people use gparted from a livecd.  Do NOT resize or move the
> > windows boot partition however, unless you have a real vista CD around
> > to boot to recovery mode and repair the boot files for vista.  It will
> > not boot if you change the boot partition in anyway (other than using
> > the vista resize tool).
>
> That is the problem, the boot partition is the largest (137 out of the 160
> Gb total), and can only be reduced to about 80 Gb!!  The Vista system is
> "optimized" to make efficient use of the hard drive by creating 4
> partitions with several unmovable parts, so that no matter how large your
> hard drive is, you can only reduce the partition used by Vista to about 3
> x the space required.  You never know how far M$ will go to make it easy
> for users to use their hardware...

I had a similar experience with XP.  New machine, booted maybe once.
Used Gparted to try to shrink it down to 20 Gb.  Wouldn't work <yikes!>

Turned out to be an unmoveable (swap) partition in the way.  Allowed Xp
an extra 4 Gb, then no problemo.  I haven't booted to Windows since
(using Win 2000 in a VM instead); if it weren't a work machine I'd
recover the partition.

No one in any position of power seems to be wise to these Microsoft
ashholes, except maybe in Europe.

--
Tux rox!