Re: System freezes

Am Freitag 06 Juli 2007 schrieb Alan Ianson:
> On Thu July 5 2007 09:02:02 am Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > Hi dear maintainers,
> >
> > after the last upgrade my system randomly freezes when running in X.
> >
> > The main things I upgraded, was the kernel from 2.6.21-1-amd64 to
> > 2.6.21-2-amd64 and the Nvidia-packages (nvidia-kernel, -glx and
> > -glx-ia32)
> >
> > I suspect either the kernel or the Nvidia-packages, as everything went
> > fine before the upgrade. To verify this, I would like to downgrade to the
> > packages before. But they are gone, and the packages in /testing are too
> > old.
> >
> > Where can I find them ? Maybe someone has stored them and could send them
> > to me.
>
> There are no precompiled nvidia-kernel-* packages for testing/unstable
> kernels. I used module-assistant to build them for me.
>
> running the following commands did the trick for me..
>
> module-assitant prepare
> module-assistant auto-install nvidia
Hi Alan !

No, this is not quite correct, maybe I described wrong.

The driver for Nvidia graphics cards is splitted in two parts. One is the
kernel-module, which interacts with the linux kernel and is beeing delivered
in Debian only as source-code. This one can be compiled with module-assistant
(which is the easiest way) or with other methods, i.e. make-kpkg or make
modules, whatever you want.

The other part is the "nvidia-glx"-package, which is main responsible for
3d-acceleration and the graphic functions. This let us conclude:

Either the nvidia-kernel-module is responsible for the freeze (the idea, I
personally prefer ) or the Nvidia-glx-module sends some output to the the
nvidia-,kernel-module, which it cannot work with, or transferres to the
pcie-bus, which at last let the system hang.

(Maintainers, please correct me, if I am wrong).

Anyway, at the moment I had to switch to nvidia-glx 100.14.09, which seemk to
work o.k., as with 100.14.11 the system fereezes almost every five minutes,
and this is really no fun to work with.

Best regards

Hans