Re: 32-bit vs AMD64 on Opteron for LAMP server

Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 04:07:23PM +0100, Adam Stiles wrote:
You won't be able to use all of your 4GB RAM with a 32-bit kernel. A 32-bit processor only has 4GB of addressing space, and that has to be shared between memory and peripherals.

Not true.  With PAE, a 36-bit address is available, allowing access to
64 GB of RAM.  What does not change, however, is that with a 32-bit
kernel no single process can address more than 4 GB of RAM.

That sounds very much like what I have read as well.

You'd also do better with Apache 2.0 or 2.2, as long as you use the "prefork" version (which is more compatible with PHP, if that's your chosen "P"). The breaking-up of the configuration files is a bit of a pain to deal with, but worth it in the long run (I knocked up a Perl script to break up a 1.3-style configuration file into 2.0-style snippets; e-mail me if you are interested, on-list if you think others would be interested). Otherwise it's just like 1.3, only faster.

This is true.  Any pain spent transitioning from Apache v1 to Apache v2
or 2.2 is well worth it.

You're probably right; however, as is probably usual with production environments, I never really have the time or inclination to take time out to do such a major shift. Apache 1.3 works just fine for me, I really doubt there is that much difference between using apache 1.3 and apache 2, since the limiting factor for me is almost certainly not in the number of raw static connections that can be served, but rather the mod_perl backend communicating with the mysql database server. That is the heavyweight here, not apache itself. CPU used to do complex sql queries, and disk I/O in serving those queries, is what is going to kill performance, not how fast apache can fork a new process.

Thanks,

/Neil