Re: 32-bit vs AMD64 on Opteron for LAMP server

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 04:07:23PM +0100, Adam Stiles wrote:

> You won't be able to use all of your 4GB RAM with a 32-bit kernel.  A 32-bit
> processor only has 4GB of addressing space, and that has to be shared between
> memory and peripherals.

Not true.  With PAE, a 36-bit address is available, allowing access to
64 GB of RAM.  What does not change, however, is that with a 32-bit
kernel no single process can address more than 4 GB of RAM.

> You'd also do better with Apache 2.0 or 2.2, as long as you use the "prefork"
> version  (which is more compatible with PHP, if that's your chosen "P").  The
> breaking-up of the configuration files is a bit of a pain to deal with, but
> worth it in the long run  (I knocked up a Perl script to break up a 1.3-style
> configuration file into 2.0-style snippets; e-mail me if you are interested,
> on-list if you think others would be interested).  Otherwise it's just like
> 1.3, only faster.

This is true.  Any pain spent transitioning from Apache v1 to Apache v2
or 2.2 is well worth it.

> If your RAID card is one of the ones that uses a binary-only driver, ignore it
> and use the open source drivers with md RAID instead -- md is faster than any
> manufacturer's proprietary alternative  (anything that needs a driver is fake
> RAID.  True hardware RAID never needs a special driver; the array just shows
> up as a single drive).  Beside the non-polluted kernel, you also get the
> advantage that you can have your swap area without redundancy, hence running
> as fast as possible  (just set up the partitions as separate swap areas).

Clearly you don't know what you are talking about here.  If you look,
there are drivers in the kernel for megaraid (Intel), cciss (HP Smart
Array) and 3ware.  All of there are certainly hardware RAID.  In fact,
all of those are also in the kernel and free software drivers, developed
primarly by the hardware vendors.  In any case, your statement is
equivalent to saying "A true video card never needs a special driver;
the card just shows up as a video device."  *Every* device on the system
needs a driver of some sort or another.

Regards,

-Roberto
--