Re: deciding on a new amd64 system

The RAM is very important take care of this...

On 6/6/07, Gilles Sadowski <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
Hello.

I'm also inquiring about hardware for a new system.
Based on previous posts (with some replacements for parts I didn't
readily found in the closest shop), here is my tentative list (with
alternative choices):

CPU             Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
CPU             AMD Athlon64 5000
RAM             1024MB DDR2-6400 800Mhz
Fan             Zalman CNPS9500
MB (Intel CPU)  Asus P5N32-E SLI + S775 DualX16 FSB1333 FW GbLan
MB (Intel CPU)  Intel Mbo DP965LT-Skt LGA775/1066/DDR2-800/SATA/IDE/1394
MB (AMD CPU)    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe-AM2/SATA/Wifi/DDR2-800/G
HDD             WD 320GB SATA
HDD             WD 160GB SATA
HDD             Seagate 160GB 8MB SATA-II
HDD             Seagate 320GB 16MB SATA-II
Case            Silverstone TJ01-SI (No power supply)
Case            Antec Atlas (TruePower Trio 550W)
Power           Fortron Blue Storm 500W 23dB
Power           Silverstone ST50EF-Plus (recommended)
Graphics        Asus Extreme N7600GT Silencer 256MB
Screen          Samsung 205BW
Screen          Samsung SyncMaster 226BW (recommended)
Screen          ViewSonic VG2230wm
Headset         Plantronics 340
Microphone      Plantronics Audio 15
Keyboard        Cherry Cymotion Expert G86 Black USB
Mouse           Logitech MX40 Laser

Is there some reason to avoid some of the above HW (e.g. no linux support,
bad components,...)?
What would be the preferred choice (for CPU, MB, HDD, case, screen, power
supply, fans)?  Is it safe to assume that currently, an AMD CPU performance
is equivalent to an Intel CPU at about the same price?

Best regards.
Gilles