Re: dpt_i2o and i2o_block on amd64 etch

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
Well there has always been the option of going to the console on tty2
and telling it to load the driver, and going back to the installer on
console 1 and continuing.

I've never done that (at install time anyway) - are you talking about just using something like modprobe or insmod?

I think the problem could be that most drivers are auto detected by pci
id, which may not be easy to do for the I2O stuff.  I don't actually
know how i2o devices appear on the system.  Of course there also aren't
that many people using i2o, so it may just be that no one ever bothered
to test the installer on such a system and complain about it not working
so that it could have been fixed.  After all if the installer developers
don't know it doesn't work, they can't fix it.

I always thought Adaptec was a pretty major company. I guess I was wrong (or at least chose a card that turned out to be kind of a loser). I thought that drivers were difficult back in 2005 because the card was so new. Now it appears the opposite - nobody is using it because it just never took off at all.

Maybe next time I should go with one of those 3Ware SATA RAID cards. I heard they are blowing the doors off anything else in terms of speed. But I'm a little concerned about SATA drive reliability.

Does anyone have a handle on if/why SCSI would be more reliable than SATA? I remember reading that SCSI drives are built better, but SATA seems so attractive pricewise these days that I'm wondering if I should just go with that next time. How about speed with SATA vs SCSI - anybody have practical experience of that?

If you still want tops in speed and reliability, is SCSI still the way to go? It seems to be dying, except perhaps on the server.

Thanks again,

/Neil