Problems booting from SATA in a HP DC5750 (ATI SB600 ?)

Dear Srs,

I've just suceeded performing the base install from an etch snapshot CD1,
in a HP DC5750, which uses an ATI SB600 to provide SATA.
I had to choose "Native IDE" in the bios settings do install properly
(other options are "Legacy IDE" and "SATA" - not the case, I have only
one HD).

The install went well - no glitch, and grub was put on MBR, as usual.

However, during boot, the machine reports a lot of errors:

ata2: SATA Link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata2.00: Configured for UDMA/100
ata2: EH Complete
ata2.00 exception Emask 0x40 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x800 action 0x2
ata2.00 (irq_stat 0x40000001)
ata2.00 tag 0 cmd 0xa0 Emask 0x40 stat 0x51 err 0x20 (internal error)
softresetting port

The pattern above is repeated 20 or so times, then boot proceeds and succeeds!!!
Once up, the box runs ok, as far as I could evaluate.

I've been googling around but could not find anything useful so far.

Has anyone seen something like this? Any hints?
Thank you in advance,