Re: MSI K8T Neo2-F etch compatible?

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 10:06:37AM +0200, Simo Kauppi wrote:
> I'm running etch on MSI K8T Neo2-FIR as a server, and the ethernet is
> working OK. It's using the Realtek 8169 gigabit driver.
>
> I compile my own kernels, but the r8169.ko module seems to be included
> in the linux-image-2.6.18-3-amd64 package, so it should work with
> Debian packaged kernels as well.
>
> BTW: Len, why do you avoid Realtek 8110S? Is it somehow unreliable or
> Linux-unfriendly? I'm just curious, so I can start avoiding it
> knowingly, if there are some issues to avoid it :)

Well RTL8139's were shit, realtek audio chips are crap, so I just avoid
realtek in general since they seem to believe in producing and selling
junk in general.  It's easy to build a reputation of making bad stuff,
while it takes a long time of making quality products to build a good
reputation, and it has not been anywhere near long enough for me to
trust anything from realtek to even potentially be good.

So having never used a realtek gigabit chip, it's all just a matter of
lack of trust and bad reputation of the maker.  For gigabit I have so
far used intel (e1000), marvell (skge), and would probably accept
onboard nvidia gigabit too.