Re: Problems on a asus vintage2 ae-1

A Dimecres 31 Gener 2007 18:08, Lennart Sorensen va escriure:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 05:58:32PM +0100, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > umm. in the link [1] explain to modify two files: ahci.c and sata_via.c.
> > Looking on the modifications are ... I don't know ....
>
> Well it appears that ahci fixes are already in 2.6.18, while the other
> changes to via_sata I am not even convinced belong there.  Of course
> this assumes the BIOS is set to AHCI mode I believe.

Ok, I have to test it.

> > in theory in 2.6.20 all have been solved but I have tested 2.6.20rc6 and
> > I cannot boot because time outs.
>
> Hmm, not very nice of it.

I have to make some more test, but it looks not nice.

> > yes, that's one problem. With the old bios I could use the internal vga.
> > With the new one, neither agp card or internal card. Howeber I have had
> > _always_ console.
>
> I wonder what changed.  The vga console driver probably just talks to
> the VGA hardware registers and doesn't care if it is isa, pci or agp or
> anything else for that matter.  It just uses the legacy interface.

ok.

> > yes, has three options:sata, ahci and raid.
>
> Which one do you have it set to?

sata. Howeber I will test soon the ahci.

> > it's a nighmare the sata units. I like it very much but in linux we have
> > a lot of problems.
>
> I have had pretty good luck.  So far I have managed with Sil3112A based
> controllers just fine since very early 2.6 kernels, and with intel ICH5R
> based controller as well.  I later started using a promise sata
> controller as well around 2.6.12 which works fine too.  VIA seems to
> have managed to make an ahci controller that isn't actually ahci
> compatible (at least not 100%) which is why they need some very ugly
> code added to the ahci driver to work (or so is my understanding of it).
> Rather unfortunate.

also I have to add my sad problems with a HP Proliant 150 and a Maxwell
controller ... :-(

So, I test it with the acpi and the 2.6.18 kernel to see what happens.

Regards,

Leo