Re: Problems on a asus vintage2 ae-1

A Dimecres 31 Gener 2007 17:39, Lennart Sorensen va escriure:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 05:35:46PM +0100, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > If a use a stock debian kernel, the box doesn't boot. It doesn't
> > recognizes the sata hd. I need this kernel version with two files patched
> > as is commented in  [1] . I have to say that it's the only way that I
> > have to see the hd. I will try to patch the 2.6.18 version, but the files
> > are more different. I don't know if it will compile.
>
> What was the patch you did?

umm. in the link [1] explain to modify two files: ahci.c and sata_via.c.
Looking on the modifications are ... I don't know ....

> > is it a bug in the lspci program? May I have to report it?
>
> No probably a kernel bug.  /proc/pci should show the same info from the
> kernel's point of view.

in theory in 2.6.20 all have been solved but I have tested 2.6.20rc6 and I
cannot boot because time outs.

> > no, it's a simple barebone with one agp, one little slot from asus and 3
> > pci
>
> Is the BIOS on the board up to date?

yes, that's one problem. With the old bios I could use the internal vga. With
the new one, neither agp card or internal card. Howeber I have had _always_
console.

> Does the BIOS have a mode setting for the SATA ports?

yes, has three options:sata, ahci and raid.

> I remember problems a couple of years ago on an intel chipset board
> that the SATA only worked properly in linux when set to enhanced mode
> not the default combined mode.  When set right it worked perfectly even
> with 2.6.1.

it's a nighmare the sata units. I like it very much but in linux we have a lot
of problems.

Regards

[1] http://www.geocities.com/rajahuroman/main.html