Re: Problems on a asus vintage2 ae-1

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 05:58:32PM +0100, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> umm. in the link [1] explain to modify two files: ahci.c and sata_via.c.
> Looking on the modifications are ... I don't know ....

Well it appears that ahci fixes are already in 2.6.18, while the other
changes to via_sata I am not even convinced belong there.  Of course
this assumes the BIOS is set to AHCI mode I believe.

> in theory in 2.6.20 all have been solved but I have tested 2.6.20rc6 and I
> cannot boot because time outs.

Hmm, not very nice of it.

> yes, that's one problem. With the old bios I could use the internal vga. With
> the new one, neither agp card or internal card. Howeber I have had _always_
> console.

I wonder what changed.  The vga console driver probably just talks to
the VGA hardware registers and doesn't care if it is isa, pci or agp or
anything else for that matter.  It just uses the legacy interface.

> yes, has three options:sata, ahci and raid.

Which one do you have it set to?

> it's a nighmare the sata units. I like it very much but in linux we have a lot
> of problems.

I have had pretty good luck.  So far I have managed with Sil3112A based
controllers just fine since very early 2.6 kernels, and with intel ICH5R
based controller as well.  I later started using a promise sata
controller as well around 2.6.12 which works fine too.  VIA seems to
have managed to make an ahci controller that isn't actually ahci
compatible (at least not 100%) which is why they need some very ugly
code added to the ahci driver to work (or so is my understanding of it).
Rather unfortunate.