Re: newby trying to go debian

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 10:02:43AM -0200, Rodrigo Alexandre wrote:
> hi all, i would like to go linux, have heard that debian is a good
> compilation, and want to give it a try. my system is a amd athlon 64
> 3500 currently running windows and with an empty partition for linux.
> i have a few questions one might be able to help.
>
> 1. this 64bit thing, does it mean i cant run 32bit apps?
> 2. is there a specific distribution better than debian for those
> interested in image processing (raster and vector) and video
> authoring?
> 3. can i install it in a way that windows may boot as well? this has
> something to do with a swap partition as well as the linux one, isn't
> it?
> 4. noticed that there are two main compilations for 64bits, one only
> is official though. which one should i go for?
>
> i have already googled these questions and found a couple of facs
> dealing with them, but because of my newby condition, it all looked
> vague and complex for me. it would be great if someone could spot me
> clear resources on these issues. many thanks in advance!

Welcome Rodrigo

1.	First decide if you need to run 32-bit apps.  Remember that you
can't just run your windows apps on linux.  Look for the functionality
you need from debian packages.  See if any you need are not included in
Etch amd64 (the 64-bit port).  Right now, I think the two problem apps
are flash player and acroread.  Flash is flash and I never use it
anyway.  acroread is for reading pdf files and I think the only thing it
does compared to xpdf or evince is allow you to complete pdf forms.  So
if you don't need to do that, don't worry about 32-bit at all.  If you
do, there are work-arounds whereby a special environment (called a
chroot) that runs a 32-bit app within a 64-bit installation.

2.	Debian Proper only contains free software.  (Check the web site
for the legalese).  Contrib and non-free contain stuff with different
licenses.  This is all from within the debian reposititories.  Then
there's unofficial repositories like debian-multimedia.org.  Once you
add that to your /etc/apt/sources.list it integrates into your system
just fine.  Its just not pure Debian anymore.

For image processing, the heavy-weight is the GIMP with lighter apps
aplenty.  Video authoring I haven't gotten into yet but I think you'll
find everything you need within debian itself.  Search for packages on
the web site.

3.	Its called dual-boot.  There's stuff in the installation manual
about it but I don't do windoze so can't offer advice.

4.	I don't know what you mean.  There are different 64-bit
archetectures so there's different ports.  For 32-bit you would use i386
and for 64-bit you would use amd64.

I think that the biggest hurdle for people moving from another OS to
linux is the whole UNIX (more correctly *N*X) philosophy.  It means
things like there being many different ways to do the same thing.  It
means having small solid apps working together to accomplish something
rather than one monolitic monster.  It means only running root when you
can't do it otherwise, and knowing when that is.

So my suggestions would be:

A.	Download the netinst.iso Etch amd64 daily-build.

B.	Read the installation manual.

C.	Read the debian-reference manual.

D.	Make up your choice of install media following directions in the
installation manual.  Probably easiest for you is just to burn the
netinst.iso to a CD.

E.	Install Etch onto the space that is taken up by that partition.
Use guided partioning to have the installer make inteligent choices for
you.

F.	Learn all you can about your new system and get comfortable with
it while still having your windows stuff for your daily work.  Go slow.
Install packages one main app at a time.  Having your system bite off
more than you can chew can give your system indigestion (at least in my
experience).  Personally, I would forgo X and desktop environments
during the install and get get a standard system.  Even that will give
you more than you need (assuming you're not going to start you *N*X life
by compiling software).

G.	Choose a course from there.

Enjoy.

Doug.