Re: Re: newby trying to go debian

--- tomek.fizyk@op.pl wrote:

> U¿ytkownik Rodrigo Alexandre
> <rodrigo@depoisdasdez.com.br> napisa³:
> >this thing about running windows at the same time:
> is it a real
> >advantage, both systems will run at full speed and
> without the danger
> >of crash? i mean, how safe and useful is that?
>
> Hmm... using a boot loader let's you choose which
> system you want to run at
> the start of the computer - windows or linux.
> But there is a possibility to run windows from
> within linux - there is some
> emulator which allows you to run other systems
> present on your hard drive
> (meaning you can run those systems w/o shuting down
> linux),
> but I don't remember it's name (it is not 'wine',
> which is a program that allows
> you to run windows applications under linux - it's
> not the same)
>
> And that emulator, AFAIK, is stable and safe.

I'm currently using Debian on my 2GHz AMD64 32++ and
1Gb RAM, and run vmware server (www.vmware.com) for
full virtualization. It allows me to create a virtual
machine, on which I installed DOS and Win2000 so I can
teach 8086 assembly language without having to reboot.
The vmware site has the vmware player and vmware
server for free download (the player just plays
preconfigured virtual machines, whereas with the
server you can create your own). It's very simple to
install and use, and it's pretty amazing to see
Windows boot up in linux. Heck, you can even play
around with the virtual BIOS settings!

Scott Edwards
msedwardsus@yahoo.com

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265