only 1 of 5 usb ports works tyan s2885 / etch problem

Hi,

I have a Tyan S2885 with 5 USB ports (two on a front panel, 3 on a back
panel).

If I connect a USB memory stick I can see lights on whatever port I
connect the stick, all connectors are working as far as the hardware is
concerned. The HAL Device Manager (0.5.8.1) shows two AMD-8111 USB
devices, both with an USB HUB interface and an USB Raw Device Access.

My problem is that only the top front USB connector lets me actually use
an USB stick (or my IPod or my Palm for that matter).  syslog does also
not show any messages if I put anything in 1 of the other 4 connectors.

Is there a way to make the other 4 connectors working?

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld