Re: a few simple questions about AMD64 version of Debian

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:39:16AM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> I've spent the last three years doing absolutely everything possible to
> avoid the nForce chipsets (which is getting increasingly harder to
> do).  :)  We don't have any servers running nVidia chipsets, I'm proud to
> say (going all the way back to our dual-AthlonMP systems).  They are all
> AMD 8000-series and VIA chipsets.  As such, we have had no stability
> problems or driver issues running FreeBSD and Debian (32-bit and 64-bit
> versions).  It's too bad AMD stopped producing their own chipsets, they
> were some very nice server chipsets.
>
> Hopefully the merger with ATi means they'll be making new chipsets, and
> not just gamer/pro-sumer chipsets, but real, server-class chipsets.
>
> We have just this school year introduced client systems running nForce
> (don't remember if its nForce3 or nForce4) chipsets, and that was only so
> we could get proper 3D support for our Linux diskless clients without
> needing a separate video card (these are tiny boxes, and we're trying to
> limit the power requirements).

Well having not dealt with server boards, only desktop boards, I
certainly will take an nforce chipset any day.  I won't use an ATI one
though.  VIA is generally fine, and AMD I just haven't seen on desktop
boards much, although I seem to recall some AGP or USB problem or such
on one of their k7 chipsets, which they were very hard to convince to
release the workaround for without an NDA which made life hard for the
linux developers.  I haven't really considered AMD chipsets as a result.
They just seemed uncooporative at the time.  I suspect that may have
changed though since they seem very linux friendly in general now.