Re: dist-upgrade sarge to etch

sigi wrote:

nv_drv.so is the unaccelerated XFree/Xorg driver for nVidia cards. nvidia_drv.so is the closed-source nVidia 3D driver, which requires nvidia.ko to operate. Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to see whether you're using nv or nvidia; use "glxinfo | grep direct" to see whether you have any 3D acceleration.

OK, "glxinfo | grep direct" shows:
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual

Broken Nvidia driver installation, usually mismatched nvidia.ko and nvidia_drv.so versions. Check /var/log/XFree86.0.log

So, it's as you said nvidiafb here.

The only circumstance in which you'll be using nvidiafb is if you built your own initrd image including it, and added "video=nvidiafb" to your kernel parameters.

Today I tried to build a nvidia.ko on my own, like the way you described it earlier this month on this list:

Build one. Add a normal 32-bit mirror's deb-src to /etc/apt/sources.list
(e.g. "deb-src http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian unstable non-free").
Install some building-related bits & bobs ("apt-get build-dep
nvidia-glx"). Download the package source ("apt-get source nvidia-glx").
Change to that folder ("cd nvidia*"). If building >7174 on Sarge, tweak
debian.binary/rules (change DH_COMPAT to some smaller number like 3 or
2). Run "dpkg-buildpackage". Change down a folder ("cd .."). Install the
kernel source package ("dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-source_*_amd64.deb").
Install module-assistant and build-essential - and an appropriate GCC if
not using your standard system gcc for kernels (e.g. on Sarge, you must
install gcc-3.4 here or you'll get misleading rivafb errors - use "cat
/proc/version" to check; "aptitude install module-assistant
build-essential"). Compile & install the kernel module ("m-a a-i
nvidia"). Load the module (If you've an older module loaded, then run
"modprobe -r nvidia" first. Then, "modprobe nvidia && echo nvidia >>
/etc/modules"). Install the driver packages ("dpkg -i nvidia-glx*").
Tell X to use nvidia instead of nv ("dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-(xfree86|xorg)"). Restart X ("/etc/init.d/*dm restart").

Building the nvidia-kernel went fine. But I can't build nvidia-glx. If I try the "dpkg-buildpackage" it

That's not possible. the nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel packages MUST have matched versions - and the only way to build an nvidia-kernel-source package is from the nvidia-graphics-drivers source package, which generates several packages at once (nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx)

shows this errormessages at the end:

8<-------
BFD: debian/nvidia-glx-ia32/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/stXfCFyW: warning: allocated section `.bss' not in segment
BFD: debian/nvidia-glx-ia32/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/tls/stWiGLVU: The first section in the PT_DYNAMIC segment is not the .dynamic section
strip: debian/nvidia-glx-ia32/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/tls/stWiGLVU: Bad value
BFD: debian/nvidia-glx-ia32/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/tls/stWiGLVU: The first section in the PT_DYNAMIC segment is not the .dynamic section
strip: debian/nvidia-glx-ia32/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/tls/stWiGLVU: Bad value
dh_strip: command returned error code 256
make[1]: *** [binary-common] Fehler 1
make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis »/usr/src/nvidia-graphics-drivers-1.0.8756«
make: *** [binary-arch] Fehler 2

What's wrong here? I tried to build the package with gcc 3.4 and 4.0 - but it had the same problem. Do you have a solution for this?

sigi.

Not sure. But it's worth noting that 8756-3+ require XOrg 7 (grab 8756-2 source from snapshot.debian.net)