Re: dist-upgrade sarge to etch

sigi wrote:

Hi,

And now I made it, to install a 2.6.16-kernel on sarge and nothing bad happened this time... graphics and sound are runnning now.
Can you post your sources.list? Did you have to rebuild your nvidia
driver again or does Xorg use the nv driver?

I actually use the nvidia-driver. I had build it for the sarge-kernel 2.6.8. and was surprised, that after my new installation of the 2.6.16-kernel there automatically the module nvidiafb was used... So, I think, that this module now is natively supported by newer kernels..?

nvidiafb.ko is an open-source framebuffer (console) driver for nVidia cards. nvidia.ko is the kernel component of nvidia's closed-source 3D driver. Generally speaking, nvidiafb (and rivafb) are a bad thing, as they conflict with nvidia_drv.so

nv_drv.so is the unaccelerated XFree/Xorg driver for nVidia cards. nvidia_drv.so is the closed-source nVidia 3D driver, which requires nvidia.ko to operate. Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to see whether you're using nv or nvidia; use "glxinfo | grep direct" to see whether you have any 3D acceleration.

--Jo Shields