dist-upgrade sarge to etch

Hi,

some days ago I had to reinstall my system, and I chose debian sarge to
install on it. Now, I liked to have more recent packages on my machine,
like I had before.

I tried a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' but this wants me to uninstall nearly
my whole gnome and kde stuff... totally over 300 packages.

Is this normal, and I should reinstall this packages, after the upgrade,
or is there sonething wrong with this?

In my sources.list I only have the 'official' mirrors listed, up to now:

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

Is there something wrong here, or should I risk this upgrade?

Regards,
sigi.