Re: Sarge on 100GB SATA Drives

On Friday 21 April 2006 13:32, Siju George wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to net install sarge amd64 port on an amd64 athlon
> computer with 120GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.7 SATA Hard Disk.
>
> The mother board is
>
> http://www.directron.com/rs482m4ild.html
>
> It seems the installer does not detect the hard disk :-(
>
> Is this hardware supported? any work arounds?
>

> Waht is the Ideal hardware to get the amd64 port of Sarge working well?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Siju

If the mobo has a 40-pin "classical" IDE connector and a NIC supported by the
installation kernel CD, the easiest method I have found is temporarily to
install an IDE drive.  Put a minimal system on that -- just enough to compile
a kernel and burn a CD.  Get sources from kernel.org both for the same
vintage kernel as the boot CD, and the version you want to use.  Attempt to
build just the relevant module  {from the newer source tree}  against the
running kernel.  If it works  {compiles properly,  and you see your devices
when you modprobe it},  save this module on any USB storage device  {a
digital camera works fine .....}  It can then be loaded up when you boot the
installer CD.  If not, don't panic; just compile the whole latest kernel
{copy over the config that was installed in /boot, do make oldconfig, say Y
to your SATA driver and M to everything else}  and reboot into that.  Once
you can see the SATA drive, you can install to it; and once you have
installed to it, you can remove the IDE drive.

--
AJS