installation glitches: doesn't work

I would like to install debian sarge to our new amd64 dual processor machine. The standard sarge kernel (from the standard installation CD) doesn't recognize the network cards and cannot install the system.

So I installed etch from debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso and got the base system up and working. However I don't seem to be able to instal an X-server, etc, due to dependency problems.

=============
sources.list
pegasus:~# grep -v '^#' /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://debian.tu-bs.de/debian-amd64/debian etch main contrib non-free
=============

In fact, I'd rather have sarge as this is installed on our other machines. So I debootstraped from there, according to the advice found on:
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html

=============
pegasus:/mnt# debootstrap --arch amd64 sarge . http://debian.tu-bs.de/debian-amd64/debian/ pegasus:/mnt# cp /etc/hostname /etc/resolv.conf /etc/network/interfaces /mnt/etc
pegasus:/mnt# more etc/fstab
pegasus:/mnt# cp /etc/fstab etc/
pegasus:/mnt# nano /mnt/etc/fstab
pegasus:/mnt# chroot .
pegasus:/# base-config new

I then get the error message 'Terminated'. It appears that it is an issue about 'locales'.

Note that I debootsrap from the running Kernel from etch:
pegasus:~# uname -a
Linux pegasus 2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp #2 SMP Tue Mar 7 07:22:38 UTC 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux

How to proceed?

Thanks for any help!

Johannes