Re: Sarge on 100GB SATA Drives

David Haworth wrote:
Hi Siju,

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 06:02:06PM +0530, Siju George wrote:

Hi all,

I am trying to net install sarge amd64 port on an amd64 athlon
computer with 120GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.7 SATA Hard Disk.

The mother board is

http://www.directron.com/rs482m4ild.html

It seems the installer does not detect the hard disk :-(

Is this hardware supported? any work arounds?

I had a similar problem. It isn't the disk itself that isn't
recognised, it's the controller. My SATA controller wasn't
recognised by the sata_sil kernel module in the stock kernel.

I worked around the problem by hacking the kernel modules
from an OpenSUSE initrd into a copy of the debian installer
initrd, and then booting the OpenSuSE kernel with the
hacked initrd by inserting an option into the already-installed
OpenSuSE's GRUB menu.

It kind of worked. The main problem was that the modules in the
base system didn't match the kernel, so the basic installer
couldn't detect the hardware properly (apart from the DVD and the
hard drive), which has caused other problems along the way, and I
still haven't got the system properly configured as a result. :-(
I had to copy /lib/modules/xxx from SuSE into Debian by booting
SuSE and mounting the Debian root before I could even boot the
installed system properly.

There must be a better way - such as building a new installer DVD
from the old one but with replaced kernel and modules, but I've no
how to do that. I'm new to debian, having come from slackware
via SuSE (and given up on SuSE because there's so much missing).

Also never had bleeding-edge hardware before ;-)

Installed from DVDs: 2x Sarge-amd64 plus the "backports" disk.
I need x.org 6.9 to support the ATI card.

Dave

One way you could possibly, maybe do it would be to install debian inside a vmware virtual machine, then copy the disk image file to /dev/hda. Alternatively, you might beable to install debian from a chroot (if you boot another distro that has the drivers, from a usb stick, possibly Damn Small Linux). Another method would be to install it to another machine, if you have one available, build the modules, put them on a floppy and copy them across as part of the installer, although im not sure about that one. infact, im unsure about all of the above, just suggestions.