Re: starting X interferes with NFS

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:42:12PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:52:23AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:29:53AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> >
> > > Not that I have any particular aversion to xorg 7.0, but if that's
> > > needed it *might* be simplest to wait for it to stabilize into testing.
> > > I suspect that bug reports from mixing xorg7.0 into an etch system at
> > > this point would only confuse things, since it doesn't look as if it
> > > was quite ready for sid yet.
> >
> > Actually it is lookking pretty good already.  It has actually gone
> > rather quick to get rid of the worst bugs in the packaging.  Given it
> > went to entirely modular, I am impressed.
>
> Unfortunately, aptitude tells me:
>
> * nvidia-glx [nonfree] depends on x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0) [UNAVAILABLE]
>
> Evidently, it wants xorg 7.0 from sid, and not xorg 6.9 from etch.
> I hope the bugs ar out and it migrates down soon.

Managed to get

nvidia-glx_1.0.8756-1_amd64.deb
nvidia-glx-dev_1.0.8756-1_amd64.deb
nvidia-kernel-common_20051028+1_all.deb
nvidia-kernel-source_1.0.8756-1_amd64.deb
nvidia-settings_1.0+20051122-1_amd64.deb

using a private repository.  The modules compiled properly, providing

nvidia-kernel-2.6.12-1-amd64-generic_1.0.8756-1_amd64.deb

The packages installed smoothly, and the X, gdm, and icewm come up
beautifully.  Yes, beautifully.  Except for a few analog artifacts, I've
never seen that old screen look that good.

Now for the problem.

I used gdm to start up idcmp (not sure I have the name right:
that's the thing that allows you to log into another machine from gdm)
on april, my AMD64 machine, which runs Debian AMD64 etch.
Used it to connect to lovesong (a machine  running sarge, and named
after a T.S Eliot poem), got lovesong's login screen, and logged in.
icewm came up nicely.  But when I started up emacs, everything froze.
That is, the window was created, with a frame and everything, but its
contents remained blank.  The mouse pointer would no longer respong to
mouse movements, control-alt-backspace and conteol-alt-F1 would no
longer work.  lovesong (where the emacs would actually have run) was
still up and unperturbed, but I was now unable to ssh into april from
lovesong ("no route to host").

I had to hard-reset and reboot april.

Is this a known problem?
Is it even likely to have been caused by xorg 6.9/nvidia8756?
Is it worth investigating right now?  After all, I'm using old
software.
Should I just meekly wait until xorg 7.0 reaches etch and
then investigate only if the problem recurs?

By the way, I have the same home directory on the two systems.  april
exports it to lovesong via NFS.

-- hendrik