Re: starting X interferes with NFS

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:29:53AM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> Which, looking it up on packages.debian.org, is in stable and unstable,
> but has somehow skipped by testing.  That's why aptitude didn't find it.

testing is VERY VERY incomplete for amd64 right now, since everything in
unstable got rebuilt from scratch and is now moving in to testing when
they can.  testing has NOT been rebuilt from scratch since that is not
how the buildds normally do things.  libc6 has been holding back
probably the majority of stuff from testing so far, but hopefully that
will clear soon.

> Not that I have any particular aversion to xorg 7.0, but if that's
> needed it *might* be simplest to wait for it to stabilize into testing.
> I suspect that bug reports from mixing xorg7.0 into an etch system at
> this point would only confuse things, since it doesn't look as if it
> was quite ready for sid yet.

Actually it is lookking pretty good already.  It has actually gone
rather quick to get rid of the worst bugs in the packaging.  Given it
went to entirely modular, I am impressed.

> But picking up the new nvidia-glx package and seeing if it works in etch
> might still be useful as long as I can remember how to boot without X if
> it crashes hopelessly.
>
> And it probably wants a compatibly-numbered nvidia-kernel-source.  I'll
> have to get that too.
>
> nvidia-glx_1.0.8756-4_amd64.deb
> nvidia-kernel-source_1.0.8756-4_amd64.deb

Those would be the versions to use for that chipset.  Anything older
won't work as far as I know.