new install

Hi,

I'm going to perform a new install on an Asus motherboard with the following sata controllers:

0000:00:08.0 RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20378 (FastTrak 378/SATA 378) (rev 02) 0000:00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)

I have 4 250GB SATA drives which I would like to use in (software) RAID5 with LVM on top.

I would love to use one of the newer kernels (2.6.15) but earlier comments from Lennart Sorensen about sata drives not always being recognised in the same order with this particular kernel has frightend me a bit. Does this mean that the raid won't assemble properly and I won't be able to boot?

On that note, is it better to still have a small unraided /boot partition to help grub rather than put everything on RAID5?

Thanks in advance,

Koen.