Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: xfonts-utils missing?

Thank you Jaime for the assurance.

There are two other flys in the ointment, to wit:
 a) ndiswrapper (needed for the Broadcom BCM4318 Wireless LAN Controller
 b) fglrx-driver (needed for the ATI video chip

On the most recent up-date, I had to compile the ndiswrapper from source
 because the kernel also was updated. I have learned (learnt - UK :-)
that compiling drivers works easily with the header files. I had no
success trying with the full kernel source. (not something I do everyday).

On a previous up-date xorg must have been involved, because in this most
recent up-date, the fglrx-driver continued to work. Now, I see there is
a major revision to xorg which seems to include free drivers (dfsg) for
the ATI chip. There is a warning that the free drivers do not provide 3D
(what ever that is). So, I may not need to compile a new fglrx-driver
from the ATI sources anyhow.

Well, we shall see. There is another hour or so of download before the
fun starts. fgd.

Jaime Ochoa Malagón wrote:
> seems you don't need the glint module, just install the other
> dependences and ignore the glint
>
> On 4/17/06, Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net> wrote:
>
> Greetings all,
>
> I am having a similar problem updating my amd64 laptop (HP Pavilion
> zv600 series (zv6201cl) with the ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)
> video chip on-board.
>
> I updated unstable from ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ using dselect. So now
> I am in "dselect hell" because "xserver-xorg-video-glint does not appear
> to be available".
>
> I will be trying again tomorrow. I sure hope things get ironed out. fgd.
>
> René van Bevern wrote:
>
>>"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> writes:

>>>Hmm, if you are right, Anders, then there would have been a massive change in
>>>debian-amd64.
>

>>And yes, he is right. AMD64 is now part on the official mirrors for
>>unstable and packages start propagating to testing also.
>>http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00014.html
>

>>>Can somebody explain the status of debian-amd64 and what are the correct
>>>entries in sources.list ?
>

>>The correct entries for sources.list for unstable are (add contrib and
>>non-free to your liking).
>
>>deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
>>deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
>
>>About your concerns if aptitude will automatically grab AMD64 packages
>>or if grabs the i386 ones, just try dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH
>>and look if it sais "amd64" or "i386".
>
>>Note that for Sarge, you continue to use your old entries in
>>sources.list.
>
>>        René
>

> --
> Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
> dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "etch" Testing
> Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
>                                             ^^-^^  "irad" 301256

- --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

> --
> Engañarse por amor es el engaño más terrible;
> es una pérdida eterna para la que no hay compensación
> ni en el tiempo ni en la eternidad.

> 							Kierkegaard

> 							Jaime Ochoa Malagón
> 							Integrated Technology