printing/printers

Unable to get HP Deskjet 5740 printing economically  through CUPS/HPLIP/usb.
The settings windows does not allow much and the printer uses a lot of ink.
Therefore, is any other printer branch fully supported on debian etch?
Printers are cheap while cartridges are expensive, so that i'll not hesitate
to through the printer away. I am even inclined to buy a scsi printer should
any be available in Europe. i am always uncomfortable with usb.

I can not rule out to miss some important settings because i use the specific
driver for openoffice and all editors, while both kpdf and adobe reader 7 do
not accept that (and nothing is being written on error log in this case) and
i have to set "custom printer" to get the printer working.

i am at 32 with PC and soon also at 64 with a worstation.

Thanks for advice.

Francesco Pietra