Re: HOWTO Installing a Debian IA32 chroot system

> The HOWTO has one do "chroot /var/chroot/sid-ia32", and then starts
> talking about "/whatever", without saying whether that's the base "/"
> or the chroot's "/".
>
> Reading between the lines, I'm guessing it means the base
> /etc/ld.so.conf,  so I changed that.

Yes, I think that's right.

> But now I don't understand this at all:
>
>     You also need a link to your 32bit linker in the /lib path. Change
>     in to directory /lib and create a link to the 32bit linker library
>     of your chroot: (The name of the 64bit linker is
>     ld-linux-x86-64.so.2)
>
> I'm again guessing it wants the link in the base "/lib", but what
> should the link be named?  I surely don't want to replace the 64-bit
> linker with a link to the 32-bit linker, do I?  I need more steps in
> my cookbook or a better explanation of what's going on.

OK.  What you want is

ln -s $CHROOT/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /lib/ld-linux.so.2

> It seems that the goal here is to be able to run a 32-bit app (I'm
> trying to run the Real Video player) without having to do a chroot.
> Correct?

Right, although it's not at all clear to me from reading the HOWTO that that
will really work.  You're right that that part is confusingly written.  As
well as I can tell, it seems that that section, as well as "The Quick Way",
is about running 32-bit apps without a chroot, while the other sections
inbetween them are about setting up a chroot.  Personally I've had complete
success with the chroot, and no success at all with the other.

A.