HOWTO Installing a Debian IA32 chroot system

I'd like some help deciphering the debian-amd64-howto.html HOWTO.
Specifically, the "Installing a Debian IA32 chroot system" section.

(I'm trying to get "realplayer" running in a month-old 64-bit
"etch". I don't recall why I chose "etch" instead of "sid" or "sarge";
maybe someone can remind me. :)

The HOWTO has one do "chroot /var/chroot/sid-ia32", and then starts
talking about "/whatever", without saying whether that's the base "/"
or the chroot's "/".

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing it means the base
/etc/ld.so.conf,  so I changed that.

But now I don't understand this at all:

    You also need a link to your 32bit linker in the /lib path. Change
    in to directory /lib and create a link to the 32bit linker library
    of your chroot: (The name of the 64bit linker is
    ld-linux-x86-64.so.2)

I'm again guessing it wants the link in the base "/lib", but what
should the link be named?  I surely don't want to replace the 64-bit
linker with a link to the 32-bit linker, do I?  I need more steps in
my cookbook or a better explanation of what's going on.

It seems that the goal here is to be able to run a 32-bit app (I'm
trying to run the Real Video player) without having to do a chroot.
Correct?

I tried to install RealPlayer10GOLD.rpm in the chroot, and it seemed
to install OK, but when I run it (RealPlayer10GOLD.bin, within the
chroot) I get this msg:

   home/jojo/bin/RealPlayer10GOLD.bin: error while loading shared
   libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such
   file or directory

Within the chroot, "ls -d /usr/lib/libstd*" gives:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     18 Feb 12 03:31 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.7
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 882324 Jan 29 03:50 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.7

So, it seems I have two question, one about configuring "ldconfig" and
the other about how to install/configure a libstd++.so.5 for
"realplayer".

(BTW, I'm returning to Linux after 6 years of FreeBSD (don't ask), for
which I don't recall a single library version problem, and almost the
first thing I do after the OS install is be reminded of many old
memories of Linux library problems.  I never did learn what they did
differently.  I sure hope the problematic Linux way has some side
benefit I'm not aware of.)

Thanks.