Re: ATI-driver will not start with 3D-acceleration (Update)

On 3/10/06, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> I looked into my system, and I suppose, the reaeson, why my ATI-acceleration
> does not work, might be due to the 64-Bit incompabiltiy.

Why make wild guesses?
Simply run
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
and it will complain about what is wrong.

> I found two
> different libGL.so,1.2 and two different fglrx_drv.so. These seem to be for
> 32-Bit and 64-Bit. So far, so good. And I found several symlinks, pointing to
> the different libGL.so.1.2 and fglrx_drv.so.
>
> Now my question: Where should the symlinks point to ?

I suggest to reinstall everything in debianized way (following the
suggestions from this maillist):

$ ./ati-driver-installer-8.23.7-x86_64.run --extract fglrx-tmp
$ cd fglrx-tmp
$ fakeroot ./packages/Debian/ati-packager.sh --buildpkg sid
$ cd ..

if everything went OK, remove the currently instances of fglrx
$ rm -rf /usr/src/modules/fglrx /usr/src/fglrx.tar.bz2

then install the newly created .deb packages with dpkg,
and run module-assistant to build and install fglrx-kernel module.

Max