Re: Music stutters during startup of programs

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 01:33:37AM +0100, Gabor Gombas wrote:
> 4 SATA disks using sata_nv, md/RAID5, and bonnie causes "warning: many
> lost ticks" kernel messages even in single user mode, and audio skips
> under the normal desktop environment. Previously I had 2 PATA and 2 SATA
> disks configured as 2 md/RAID1 arrays, and did not have any lost ticks
> messages.

md/raid5 uses a LOT of cpu.  That would certainly explain why it takes a
lot of cpu to access those drives.  I would call that perfectly expected
bahaviour.  If you want low cpu use, stick to raid1 or use a hardware
raid controller (like the 3ware or areca).