Re: a few simple questions about AMD64 version of Debian

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 16:29, Freddie Cash wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 07:00 am, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 08:47:33PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> > > Does this mean that when 4 GB sticks come out I can have 16 GB on my
> > > Athlon 3800+?
> >
> > Well every board I have seen so far says that you can only use up to
> > 2GB sticks, so I would say the answer is probably no.  I don't actually
> > know what the maximum theoretical size of a DDR2 DIMM is (although
> > there certainly is one).
>
> I haven't noticed any desktop-class motherboards that support larger than
> 2 GB DDR DIMMS.  But I don't follow desktop-class hardware too closely.

I guess many manufacturers won't claim support for a particular dimm size
until they've actually tested them. I'd expect that many/most boards will
work with them once they are available, maybe requiring a bios upgrade.

I've used 512Mb dimms in an old k7 board where the manual where the manual
didn't mention anything above 256Mb because they didn't exist when it was
manufactured. OTOH I've seen similar vintage p3 boards that don't support
512Mb sticks.

YMMV.

Paul