Re: GoogleEarth and ATI OpenGL...? (solved)

On 2006-11-24 Ozzy Lash wrote:
> On 11/24/06, Christian Hammers <ch@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > Has anybody managed to get GoogleEarth (latest version) running on amd64?
> > I tried the fglrx drivers from unstable and experimental and both work
> > according to fglrxinfo and fgl_glgears.
> >
> > Just if GoogleEarth starts either from amd64 or from inside an i386
> > chroot (which had the matching fglrx versions installed), I can see the
> > start logo and then GoogleEarth freezes. With strace I see very much of
> > those lines at the end:
> >         futex(0x819898c, FUTEX_WAKE, 1)         = 0
> >         futex(0x819898c, FUTEX_WAKE, 1)         = 0
> >         futex(0x819898c, FUTEX_WAKE, 1)         = 0
> >         futex(0x819898c, FUTEX_WAKE, 1)         = 0
> >         futex(0x819898c, FUTEX_WAKE, 1)         = 0
>
> I had this problem for quite a while until I found the advice at:
> http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/620003/page/0/fpart/2/vc/1
>
> Basically I found an older version of the driver and grabbed the i386
> version of libGL.so and put it in the google-earth directory with all
> of the other libraries.  It now seems to work, although I haven't used
> it extensively after that.

For me it seemed that simply copying over the old libGL.so.1 did not work.
I had to make my own set of .deb's from the original
ati-driver-installer-8.27.10-x86_64.run according to debian/README.hacking
from the Debian packages and then it worked. Probably the kernel module had
to be older, too.

But now it runs with hardware acceleration and I can plan my next
holydays, hurray :)

bye,

-christian-