Re: kernel without smp

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 09:03:33PM -0500, Jim Crilly wrote:
> On 11/22/06 02:37:19AM +0100, sigi wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 03:23:36PM -0500, Jim Crilly wrote:
> > > Have you tried booting with the kernel parameters 'nosmp' or 'maxcpus=1'?
> >
> > Just for your information: this two parameters do _not_ work - they both
> > seem to have no affect. ifup freezes the keyboard everytime I try to
> > connect my wlan-card.
> >
> > But the badest thing is: after my last apt-upgrade no available rt2570
> > wlan-card-module can connect to the internet! A fiew days I could use a
> > daily build from the developers-website [1], but since my last upgrade
> > this doesn't work anymore. For now it's impossible for me to connect to
> > the internet with my amd64-machine - and that because there are only
> > smp-enabled linux-images out there for amd64.... very very bad!
> >

> No affect in that both CPUs are always detected or just that the box still
> locks up?

If I remember right, the nosmp-option produced a kernel-panic during
boot-time, and maxcpus=1 froze the keyboard while trying to get my IP
with ifup.

> Although either way your only real option is to compile a custom
> kernel for UP.

I tried this yesterday, but dpkg didn't install my custom kernel... I
don't know, what the problem was - I tried the 'official' debian way,
and only disabled smp-support from the debian-kernelimage config-file.
But dpkg could not install it....

> Sounds like the rt2xxx developers need to get their act
> together and fix their locking problems, things will only get worse as more
> and more dual-core notebooks are released.

Possibly I should write a new post into their forum, that they think
about this in the future?!?

> I've actually had similar issues
> with the rt2500 driver on my notebook since it has HT, but since I was
> already using a custom kernel to apply some 3rd party patches I just
> disabled SMP to work around it.

I'll try to compile my own kernel the next days... but I don't know,
what I did wrong the last time - while it's really not complicated...

sigi.