Re: kernel without smp

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 03:23:36PM -0500, Jim Crilly wrote:
> On 11/07/06 03:07:47PM +0100, sigi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > as I noticed today, for my wlan-card-module, I need a kernel without
> > smp-support enabled... This was the reason, my new rt2570-module always
> > locked my keyboard: the prebuilt debian kernel I'm using
> > (2.6.17-2-amd64) has smp enabled.
> >
> > Now, to resolve the problem, do I have to build my own kernel (what I
> > not really want), or is it enough to install the package
> > linux-image-2.6-amd64-k8?
> >
> > I didn't find any kernel *amd64-k8 for etch, which existed earlier, so I
> > think that linux-image-2.6-amd64-k8 (as transitional package) will only
> > update to the latest generic amd-kernel available?
> >
> > So, only chance to build my own one to use my rt2570-module?
> >

> Have you tried booting with the kernel parameters 'nosmp' or 'maxcpus=1'?

Just for your information: this two parameters do _not_ work - they both
seem to have no affect. ifup freezes the keyboard everytime I try to
connect my wlan-card.

But the badest thing is: after my last apt-upgrade no available rt2570
wlan-card-module can connect to the internet! A fiew days I could use a
daily build from the developers-website [1], but since my last upgrade
this doesn't work anymore. For now it's impossible for me to connect to
the internet with my amd64-machine - and that because there are only
smp-enabled linux-images out there for amd64.... very very bad!

sigi.

[1] http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads